You wake up in a blur. Ten consecutive hours of drinking in the sun yesterday has your head throbbing. Your skin is bright red and your ears are blown out. As you try to recall what you did yesterday, you noticed you’re crammed into one bed with four other people. It all comes back to you. It’s beach season!
There is nothing more fun for college students in the summer than a beach weekend. One of you buddies has a beach house down on the shore, so you and twenty five friends from school are going to attempt to squeeze into two bedrooms. Your days will consist of drinking on the beach and nights will be spent jamming to live bands at the bar. And sleeping in any open spot on the floor available.
Beach weekend is not amateur play though. No, this is the big leagues of drinking. You’re expected to spend the entire weekend intoxicated or else you will be labeled a buzzkill. Many have stepped up to challenge, only to bow out after the second round of dizzy bat. But you’re more committed than Drake is to Johnny Manziel.
At some point you realize that you have to eat. Not a problem, your buddy’s mom came down with steaks and gatorades for the recharge. As the obvious authority on all things grilling, its time for you to step up to the plate and provide your hungry alcoholic companions a little reprieve from the marathon of drinking. Step up to that grill and make steak like you’re battling Bobby Flay in a steak and beer chugging throw down.
Steak of your choice, ideally about 1 inch to 1.5 inches in thickness
salt and pepper
1. Begin by lightly coating your entire steak in olive oil. After season well with salt and pepper. Let sit at room temperature for about 20 minutes.
2. Heat up the grill to medium-high, around 450 degrees.
3. Place the steak on the grill with tongs and cook for 4-5 minutes with the top covered.
4. Open the lid and flip the steak with your tongs. Depending on your preference for how well you want your steak down, follow directions below for the remaining cooking time.
Medium Rare: 4-5 minutes
Medium: 5-7 minutes
Medium Well: 7-10 minutes
You can test the steak by pressing the tongs to it. The more spongy or give it has, the less done it is. Do not press on it too much or the juices will be forced out resulting in a dryer steak.
5. Remove steak from grill and let rest for 5 minutes.
6. Top with some Gamma Grilled Vegetables and then continue your reign on the beer pong table. Make sure to reapply sunscreen or else…actually whatever the base burn looks good.