It’s Freshman year past 9 o’clock at night. The diner has closed and your bank account is running low after you spent all of your money on a toga themed party in your dorm that only guys showed up to. Well since you only have access to the dorm microwave for cooking, there seems to be only one option to quell your hunger. That’s right, every college student’s favorite meal…Ramen noodles!
Studies show that 1 out of 3 college students would die of starvation in Ramen Noodles didn’t exist. By simply adding water and throwing a cup into a microwave, you’ll have a delicious meal that will you leave you hungry for more. But actually, you’ll want more since Ramen has never filled anyone up.
Well what if you want a healthy, innovative way to enjoy the same great taste that is responsible for your freshman 15? Easy, you can make Oriental Ramen Salad. Obviously this is a low budget meal and only takes a couple different ingredients. The ramen provides a great crunch and the seasoning gives it a great asian flavor. Enjoy this salad and reminisce on all of the unforgettable nights freshman year getting kicked out of random parties you stumbled in on.
1 packet of uncooked oriental flavored ramen noodles
1/2 of a cabbage shredded in a food processor or cut by hand
1/2 cup of scallions
1/2 cup of shell less edamame (optional)
1 Tablespoon of olive or sesame oil
2 Tablespoons of soy sauce
2 Tablespoon of vinegar (preferably rice wine vinegar)
1/2 packet of oriental seasoning that comes with the ramen
1. Begin by washing the cabbage and cutting it into smaller pieces. If using a food processor, run it through the top with a shredding blade. If cutting by hand, use a sharp knife and cut into smaller pieces. When done, add into a large bowl.
2. Combine the oil, soy sauce, vinegar, and the seasoning in another small bowl. Stir together to combine thoroughly. Pour on top of the cabbage.
3. Cut up the scallions into smaller pieces. Add into the bowl along with the edamame and sesame seeds.
4. Finally, just before serving add the uncooked noodles. Break them into smaller pieces before adding to the bowl. Do not add too far in advance or the noodles will become soggy.
5. Go to the on-campus diner and force one of your pledges to buy you a pizza after you realize salad is not a meal.