It’s Cinco De Mayo! Time to get out your favorite poncho, head outside, and down a couple of Mexican beers. For most colleges, Cinco de Mayo marks the last major drinking event before finals. No matter what day it falls on, it’s a perfect excuse to get outside and pound Coronas.
Now there is one controversial figure on Cinco de Mayo. And that’s everyones best friend or worst enemy named Tequila. Last year Tequila got the best of you. At some point in your Patron inspired black out, you attempted to turn Chipotle into a buffet and apparently that didn’t fly with management. Coincidentally, this is also marks the one year anniversary of your lifetime ban from Chipotle.
This year, you’re going to be ready for the ensuing battle. Prep yourself with some tacos to have something to combat Jose. Tacos are awesome for fiestas and can feed a large group of people. Make your special Guacamole for topping and tell the girls to bring the margaritas. Hold onto your sombrero, this years Cinco de Mayo is going to be a wild ride.
1 lb. of ground beef (as lean as you like it)
1 Tablespoon of olive oil
½ of a medium sized onion chopped finely
1 green bell pepper chopped finely
4 tbsp minced garlic or 5 cloves
Homemade Tacos Seasoning:
1 Tablespoon of chili powder
2 teaspoons of cumin
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
1 teaspoon of onion powder
crushed red pepper flakes
shredded lettuce (look for a bag of pre-washed_
shredded cheese (we used four cheese Mexican blend)
1. In a large pan, heat up the olive oil to a medium heat. Add the garlic and onion then sauté until the onions are soft and begin to brown. Add the chopped green pepper and cook for another 2 minutes.
2. Break up the ground beef beforehand and add to the pan with the garlic and onions.
3. Add the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and red pepper flakes. Add as many red pepper flakes until you get to your desired spiciness.
4. Lower the heat and allow the ground beef to cook around 20 minutes. Make sure beef is cooked through before you stop cooking. It should be brown in color with no visible pink.
5. Warm up the tortillas and add the ground beef mixture, lettuce, cheese, and sour cream. Also add salsa or guacamole for added flavor. Assemble the tacos and enjoy.
6. Cuervo…we meet again. And again. And again.